Advanced Computing for Social Change Institute
Providing transformative student experiences through the application of XSEDE resources and services.
The Advanced Computing for Social Change Institute offers unique opportunities for undergraduate students who want to enhance their skillset and create positive change in their community.
The programs recruit students from diverse disciplines and backgrounds who want to work collaboratively to:
- Learn to apply data analysis and computational thinking to a social challenge
- Experience the latest tools and techniques for exploring data through visualization
- Expand skills in team-based problem solving
- Learn how to communicate ideas more effectively to the general public
- Be currently enrolled as a full time undergraduate student at an accredited college/university
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States (for ACSC only)
- Not plan to graduate the semester before or two months after the program
- Have a minimum overall GPA of at least 2.5/4.0 (or equivalent)
- Be able to attend a full challenge or competition during program dates
- Complete the online application form before the deadline
Students from any undergraduate background are eligible, although some preference will be given to women, minorities, students from majors outside computer science, and students at the sophomore or junior level.
Students will be assigned to teams to ensure a balance of backgrounds, and an advisor will be assigned to each team. The costs of airfare, lodging, meals, and conference registration will be provided.
Upcoming Advanced Computing for Social Change (ACSC) events
2022 ACSC Pacific Region "Currently Virtual" event will take place March 21-25, 2022 (Hosted by Chaminade University of Honolulu, Hawaii).
APPLICATION: Application Link (opens November 1, 2021)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 14, 2022. Notification of acceptance to be sent in February 2022.
2022 ACSC East Coast In-person event will take place May 16-20, 2022 (Located in Washington, DC).
APPLICATION: Application Link (opens December 13, 2021)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 21, 2022. Notification of acceptance to be sent in March 2022.
Visit the ACSC FAQ for details.