Advanced Computing for Social Change Institute
Providing transformative student experiences through the application of XSEDE resources and services.
The Advanced Computing for Social Change Institute offers unique opportunities, co-located with professional conferences, for undergraduate students who want to enhance their skillset and create positive change in their community.
The programs recruit students from diverse disciplines and backgrounds who want to work collaboratively to:
- Learn to apply data analysis and computational thinking to a social challenge
- Experience the latest tools and techniques for exploring data through visualization
- Expand skills in team-based problem solving
- Learn how to communicate ideas more effectively to the general public
- Be currently enrolled as a full time undergraduate student at an accredited college/university
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States (for ACSC only)
- Not plan to graduate the semester before or two months after the program
- Have a minimum overall GPA of at least 2.5/4.0 (or equivalent)
- Be able to attend a full challenge or competition during program dates
- Complete the online application form before the deadline
Students from any undergraduate background are eligible, although some preference will be given to women, minorities, students from majors outside computer science, and students at the sophomore or junior level.
Students will be assigned to teams to ensure a balance of backgrounds, and an advisor will be assigned to each team. The costs of airfare, lodging, meals, and conference registration will be provided.
The next Advanced Computing for Social Change (ACSC) event will be in Portland, OR co-located with the PEARC20 conference July 26-30, 2020. Due to COVID-19, the event will be virtual. All selected participants will receive a stipend in the amount of $600.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: The application period for the PEARC20 event runs through May 15, 2020. Notification of acceptance will be sent in June 2020.
The upcoming Computing4Change (C4C) event will be held in Atlanta, GA co-located with the SC20 conference Nov 14-20, 2020. Should COVID-19 travel restrictions continue into the fall and C4C becomes virtual, all selected participants will receive a stipend.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: The application deadline for the SC20 event is July 19, 2020. Notification of acceptance to be sent in August 2020.
Visit the ACSC FAQ for details.