XSEDE @Southern University at New Orleans
Southern University at New Orleans
Host site URL:
A free two-day in-person regional XSEDE workshop hosted by Southern University at New Orleans. Open to faculty, researchers, and students interested in learning how to incorporate analytics, modeling and simulation, advanced data analysis and visualization, and high performance computing into their teaching and research. Agenda topics, some will be offered twice, and will include:
- Day 1 @ 9am Overview of Regional, and National Resources
- Day 1 @1pm XSEDE New User Training – Requesting Access, Submitting Jobs, File Transfer, User Service, and Science Gateways: This tutorial will help new users become comfortable with the steps needed to access XSEDE resources, and to successfully use those resources to accomplish their research or educational goals. The practice section of the tutorial will consist of hands-on activities including submitting a job, figuring out why it has not run and transferring files between supercomputers.
- Day 2 @9am: Computational Thinking: Introduction to Analytics, Modeling, and Simulation in Teaching: This session will provide example materials for basic computational science education, modeling, and computational thinking. Several different tools that can be used to introduce modeling concepts will be demonstrated along with sources of models and instructional modules that can be inserted into a wide range of courses. The session will review model computational science undergraduate programs and facilitate discussions of the paths to curriculum changes.
- Day 2 @9am and 1pm: Statistical and Numerical Tools: Parallel “R”: In this half day tutorial, we will cover R for new users and for the more advance user cover debugging, profiling and performance analysis, optimization, foreign language API’s, and parallel programming with R. There will also be a comprehensive hands-on component to reinforce topics introduced during the lecture portion.
- Day 1 @1pm and Day 2 @1pm: Bioinformatics Databases and Tools: This tutorial will cover bioinformatics topics such as databases, structural bioinformatics, molecular dynamics and De Novo RNA-seq assembly using Trinity. During the hands-on exercises, we will help you run your own molecular dynamics simulation and Trinity job on an XSEDE supercomputer.
- Day 1 and Day 2: One-on-one consulting: How to you can use XSEDE for your research problems in science, engineering, mathematics, humanities, and social sciences.
In person (Southern University at New Orleans)
10/23/2015 09:00 - 10/24/2015 17:00 CDT (SESSION HAS ENDED)View Session Details →
- Registration open date
- 09/01/2015 09:00 CDT
- Registration close date
- 10/24/2015 17:00 CDT
- Class size restriction
- 75 registrants
(0 spots left)
- Dr. Mostafa Elaasar
- Contact phone
- Contact email
- Southern University at New Orleans
- College of Business and Public Administration
6801 Press Dr.
New Orleans, LA 70126