The discussion forums in the XSEDE User Portal are for users to share experiences, questions, and comments with other users and XSEDE staff. Visitors are welcome to browse and search, but you must login to contribute to the forums. While XSEDE staff monitor the lists, XSEDE does not guarantee that questions will be answered. Please note that the forums are not a replacement for formal support or bug reporting procedures through the XSEDE Help Desk. You must be logged in to post to the user forums.

« Back to General Discussion

Using Persistent Communication in Fortran MPI

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Dear community;
I attended the summer bootcamp on 2015. We discussed OpemMP, MPI and OpenACC.
In the boot camp we solved the famous problem of laplace equation. However, I am working with a more complex and bigger problem, a CFD real code.
In this code, I need to update the ghost cells at each time step. Therefore the overhead is quite high. As a result, I have decided to use persistent communication, but my ghost cells are populated with zeroes.
The code runs, but the solution is not right. As I said before, all my ghost cells are populated with zeroes, I have tried different things but nothing has worked out.
I wanted to know if someone has used the persistent communication with the Laplace equation. If so, I will greatly appreciate if you can share the code with me to compare my syntax with a wroking version. Below I show a small part of the code.

The code, calls the MPI_Subroutine where I set the communication characteristics.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!Starting up MPI
call MPI_INIT(ierr)
call MPI_COMM_SIZE(MPI_COMM_WORLD,npes,ierr)
call MPI_COMM_RANK(MPI_COMM_WORLD,MyRank,ierr)

!Compute the size of local block (1D Decomposition)
Jmax = JmaxGlobal
Imax = ImaxGlobal/npes
if (MyRank.lt.(ImaxGlobal - npes*Imax)) then
Imax = Imax + 1
end if
if (MyRank.ne.0.and.MyRank.ne.(npes-1)) then
Imax = Imax + 2
Else
Imax = Imax + 1
endif

! Computing neighboars
if (MyRank.eq.0) then
Left = MPI_PROC_NULL
else
Left = MyRank - 1
end if

if (MyRank.eq.(npes -1)) then
Right = MPI_PROC_NULL
else
Right = MyRank + 1
end if

! Initializing the Arrays in each processor, according to the number of local nodes
Call InitializeArrays

!Creating the channel of communication for this computation,
!Sending and receiving the u_old (Ghost cells)
Call MPI_SEND_INIT(u_old(2,: ),Jmax,MPI_DOUBLE_PRECISION,Left,tag,MPI_COMM_WORLD,req(1),ierr)
Call MPI_RECV_INIT(u_old(Imax,: ),jmax,MPI_DOUBLE_PRECISION,Right,tag,MPI_COMM_WORLD,req(2),ierr)
Call MPI_SEND_INIT(u_old(Imax-1,: ),Jmax,MPI_DOUBLE_PRECISION,Right,tag,MPI_COMM_WORLD,req(3),ierr)
Call MPI_RECV_INIT(u_old(1,: ),jmax,MPI_DOUBLE_PRECISION,Left,tag,MPI_COMM_WORLD,req(4),ierr)

End Subroutine MPI_Subroutine

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the main code, where the do loop is, I call the MPI_STARTALL and WaitALL in each time step.

Call MPI_STARTALL(4,req,ierr)
Call MPI_WAITALL(4,req,status,ierr)

Req is an array of dimension (4) the same status.

I am using Fortran 90... Any suggestions and comments?
Thanks before hand