The discussion forums in the XSEDE User Portal are for users to share experiences, questions, and comments with other users and XSEDE staff. Visitors are welcome to browse and search, but you must login to contribute to the forums. While XSEDE staff monitor the lists, XSEDE does not guarantee that questions will be answered. Please note that the forums are not a replacement for formal support or bug reporting procedures through the XSEDE Help Desk. You must be logged in to post to the user forums.

« Back to Campus Champions

Adding new User to CC allocation, and using Stampede

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Adding new User to CC allocation, and using Stampede
add user tacc stampede access
Answer
1/3/13 9:48 PM
Hello XSEDE community,

I'm a campus champion at Univ Montana and would like to add a new user, initially to my CC allocation, for which I've got a good number of SU's available. I haven't done this in a while.

After logging in to the User Portal myself, and going into "My XSEDE" and selecting "Add User" I now find that I can only add a user AFTER this user already has an account identity on the XSEDE User Portal, so their name can be selected from the drop-down (left-hand pane) on the Add User dialog, for transferral to the right-hand pane's list of users. This seems like a circular problem, since the system appears to be requiring a user to essentially "already have an account before than can get an account". Please advise how I get apply to get a brand new user (in my case, James Van Leuven here at UM), a sufficient initial on-line identity that I can then have him added to my TRA campus champion allocation.

Next, and perhaps as important, I'd like to investigate if or how I could have my CC allocation modified, such that the new TACC Stampede resource could be a choice for running jobs on. I'd be more than willing to trade SU's on an existing resource for which I have access to, to an equivalent no. of SU's on TACC Stampede, if that is all possible, as the PI mentioned here (James) has a very large memory problem we'd love to try running on Stampede if we can. Thanks much in advance!

best regards,
Joe Glassy, Univ Montana CC
Attachment

Attachments: XSEDE_AddUser_CircularProblem2013-01-03.jpg (316.2k)

RE: Adding new User to CC allocation, and using Stampede
Answer
1/8/13 11:00 PM as a reply to Joe Glassy.
Kim,

hey, thanks - your forum response helped a lot.

So, James has now created his required entry, and I've added him to our TRA and included him for use of TACC resources. Now we'll just have to see about if / how I can transfer SU's from Ranger to Stampede, or, perhaps separately apply for some dedicated Stampede SU's if things progress ok. Thanks again! more later..

best,
joe glassy