The discussion forums in the XSEDE User Portal are for users to share experiences, questions, and comments with other users and XSEDE staff. Visitors are welcome to browse and search, but you must login to contribute to the forums. While XSEDE staff monitor the lists, XSEDE does not guarantee that questions will be answered. Please note that the forums are not a replacement for formal support or bug reporting procedures through the XSEDE Help Desk. You must be logged in to post to the user forums.

« Back to Stampede Forum

How much memory per CPU?

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
How much memory per CPU?
Answer
10/18/13 6:45 PM
Hi,

this is the first time for me to run SLURM jobs, and I am a bit confused about how much memory my jobs get. At the moment, I am running tests in the serial queue, but by the speed the calculation runs I suspect that there is not sufficient memory allocated with my process. I tried setting --mem=XX MB, but then my job got refused by the queue ("sbatch: error: Batch job submission failed: Requested node configuration is not available"); I tried different numbers, but nothing worked.

So my question is:
-How much memory is allocated with each process on a single CPU?
-Is there a way to request a certain amount of memory?

Thanks,
Inga

RE: How much memory per CPU?
Answer
10/18/13 6:55 PM as a reply to Inga Ulusoy.
The --mem=XX option to SLURM is designed to help you select among nodes in the same partition (queue) that have different amounts of memory. Stampede partitions are all homogenous, so there's no need to use this option for your jobs.

In the serial partition (queue), every node (which has 16 cores) has 32GB of memory. You should be able to use about 31 GB of that with a typical job.

If you need more than that, we have 16 nodes in the largemem queue which each have 1TB of RAM. These are pretty heavily requested, but you can run there if you need more than 32GB/node.

RE: How much memory per CPU?
Answer
10/18/13 6:58 PM as a reply to William L Barth.
Thanks for your answer, it is very helpful!

-Inga