The discussion forums in the XSEDE User Portal are for users to share experiences, questions, and comments with other users and XSEDE staff. Visitors are welcome to browse and search, but you must login to contribute to the forums. While XSEDE staff monitor the lists, XSEDE does not guarantee that questions will be answered. Please note that the forums are not a replacement for formal support or bug reporting procedures through the XSEDE Help Desk. You must be logged in to post to the user forums.

« Back

zipping files before transfer

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
zipping files before transfer
stampede tar file transfer zip
Answer
2/18/14 4:38 PM
Hi,

I am relatively new to Linux and XSEDE so I have a rather specific question that might seem simple but I just want to make sure that I am doing things the right way. Question: Am I allowed to use the tar command to tar and zip my files when I am connected to, e.g. stampede login node, and are there any associated restrictions? Many thanks!

Nenad

RE: zipping files before transfer
Answer
7/17/14 1:26 PM as a reply to Nenad Bijelic.
Thank you for your inquiry. We apologize for the delayed response. The tar command can be used on a login node. However keep in mind that login nodes are shared resources and we cannot allow users to run programs on them that take a considerable amount of time to complete or else they would become unusable.We recommend that if you are archiving a significant number of files or files that are large in size that you run a batch job off of a compute node to perform the task.

More information on transferring files can be found at:

https://www.tacc.utexas.edu/user-services/user-guides/stampede-user-guide#transferring

Best Regards,
Jason Allison - TACC User Services