What is the XSEDE User Portal, and how do I create an account?
On this page:
The XSEDE User Portal is a web interface for managing your Extreme Science and Engineering Discovery Environment (XSEDE) accounts, finding real-time information about XSEDE digital services, and accessing various XSEDE services.
Once you're part of an approved XSEDE project, you can use the XSEDE User Portal to perform a broad range of functions from a single online location, for example:
- Add users to an existing allocation; see For an active XSEDE allocation, how do I add or remove users?
- View your project's usage statistics; see How can I check my XSEDE account balance?
- Find current information about XSEDE digital service; see Finding information about available XSEDE services
- View current and historical job data; see On the XSEDE User Portal, how do I check the status of my job running on XSEDE?
- Predict when your job will run; see What is the XSEDE Queue Prediction tool, and how do I use it to estimate when my job will run?
- Browse extensive support documentation, including user guides for current XSEDE digital services and a Knowledge Base with answers to common XSEDE-related questions.
- Find and register for upcoming training events, or walk through several online trainings.
For more about services available from the XSEDE User Portal, see the User Portal page on the XSEDE website.
Creating a User Portal account
To request an XSEDE allocation, or to be added to an existing allocation, you must first create an XSEDE User Portal account:
- On the User Portal front page, in the "Enter the Portal" box, click .
- On the "Create an XSEDE User Portal account" page, fill in the form fields, and use the drop-down lists to enter your personal information.
- Under "Choose A Registration Key", in the "Registration Key" text box, enter a maximum of six characters, using letters and numbers only. Remember your registration key; you will use it later to verify your account.
- Under "Prove You Are Human", in the text box, enter the words you see in the Captcha challenge box. If you are not sure what the words are, either enter your best guess or, to the left, click the
After submitting the form, you will receive an email message asking you to verify your account. icon. Visually impaired users can click the icon. After entering the challenge words, click .
- Click the link provided in the verification message to access the "Verify your XSEDE User Portal account" page, and then, under "Verify Your Account Request", in the text boxes provided, enter your email address, the registration key you created, and the verification code included in the verification email message.
- Under "Choose Your XSEDE User Name and Password", in the text boxes provided:
- Enter a preferred user name.
User names must be between three and eight characters long, may contain only lowercase letters and numbers, and must begin with a letter.
- Create and confirm a password.
Passwords must be at least eight characters long, may not contain any words, and must contain at least three of the following character classes:
- Lowercase letters
- Uppercase letters
- Symbols, excluding quotes (
") and spaces
- Enter a preferred user name.
- Under "Prove You Are Human", in the text box, enter the words you see in the Captcha challenge box. If you are not sure what the words are, either enter your best guess or, to the left, click the icon. Visually impaired users can click the icon. After entering the challenge words, click .
If you encounter any problems, or have questions, contact the XSEDE Help Desk.