What resources are available to help determine my project's data storage needs for the preparation of a data management plan supporting an XSEDE storage allocation request?
A request for an allocation on an Extreme Science and Engineering Discovery Environment (XSEDE) dedicated storage system requires the submission of a detailed plan for cost-effective management of your project's data storage needs. Scientific computations and simulations frequently generate immense amounts of data, and depending on the particular type of research you are performing, estimating your project's short- and long-term data storage needs can be challenging.
Generally, you can arrive at a fair estimate of your project's storage needs by asking:
- How much data does a typical experiment generate (and how much of that do you need to archive long-term)?
- How much larger do you expect data sets to grow over the duration of your project?
- How many experiments do you plan to perform?
The following online resources can help you make a comprehensive estimate of your project's storage needs; they also provide guidelines and examples that can help you prepare your data management plan:
- The DMPTool: The Data Management Plan Tool (DMPTool), a service of the University of California Curation Center (UC3) of the California Digital Library (CDL), provides templates and step-by-step instructions for preparing data management plans that meet the requirements of specific funding agencies, including the National Science Foundation (NSF) and National Institutes of Health (NIH), and in many cases can connect you with data management resources tailored to your specific institution.
- DataONE Best Practices database: The Data Observation Network for Earth (DataONE) has compiled a searchable online Best Practices database to help researchers learn to effectively work with their data through every stage of the data lifecycle. An Advanced Best Practices Search Page is also available to filter search results using one or more tags. Additionally, DataONE's Best Practices Primer (in PDF format) describes fundamental data management practices, and includes tips for describing, managing, preserving, and sharing your project's data.
DataONE also collaborated on the creation of the DMPTool (described above), and provides several sample data management plans that conform to its best practices guidelines on its Data Management Planning page.